The shocking moment F2 star Victor Martins came within INCHES of taking out a marshal in


The shocking moment F2 star Victor Martins came within INCHES of taking out a marshal in Monaco after ignoring double yellow flags… as spectator and staff safety debate continues after multiple near misses in recent weeks

  • A marshal was on track to help deal with a crash and was almost wiped out
  • Martins received a drive through penalty for the incident during the race
  • Esteban Ocon and Lando Norris have also been involved in near misses of late 

F2 driver Victor Martins almost wiped out a marshal during Sunday’s race in Monaco.

The Frenchman received a drive through penalty for failing to slow under double yellow flags, which caused him to miss the marshal, who was on the track dealing with an incident, by inches.

The incident occurred when Jack Doohan’s car caught on fire after 22 laps, with several marshals on track to help put out the flames.

A double yellow flag was waved, but Martins didn’t slow and almost caused tragedy but for a late turn.

The Alpine academy driver could have caused more chaotic scenes with several marshals involved with putting out Doohan’s fire, and he too could have crashed into the car itself.

F2 star Victor Martins almost wiped out a marshal during Sunday's race in Monaco

F2 star Victor Martins almost wiped out a marshal during Sunday’s race in Monaco

The marshal was on the track putting out a fire in Jack Doohan's car when they were nearly struck

The marshal was on the track putting out a fire in Jack Doohan’s car when they were nearly struck

He took the penalty, but social media called for a harsher punishment given the dangerous nature of what happened.

‘He should have been disqualified from the race,’ said on Twitter user.

‘How on earth Victor Martins is still in the race after what he did is unbelievable,’ said another. ‘Should have been black flagged and banned for the next event. 

‘Only a drive-through penalty for nearly ploughing into two marshals. I’ve had enough of these incompetent stewards.’

A third added: ‘Drive through isn’t enough for Victor Martins there – should have been disqualified.’

Martins received a drive through penalty for the incident though others called for a disqualification

Martins received a drive through penalty for the incident though others called for a disqualification

Spectator and staff safety has been a hot topic in motor racing recently and this is just the latest incident of a string of close calls.

Earlier this year, Esteban Ocon narrowly missed a group of F1 staff and photographers at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix when pitting towards the end of the race.

He criticised the personnel for walking into the pits when the race was still on, branding the situation ‘not what we want to see.’

Lando Norris, meanwhile, almost hit someone walking directly across the pit entrance during the last race in Miami.



Read More

Leave a comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More