British tourist, 54, dies when caravan catches fire while on holiday with her boyfriend


British tourist, 54, is killed in caravan fire when ‘electrical heater starts blaze’ during holiday with her boyfriend in Turkey

  • Hayley Louise Pearce was staying in a caravan in Bodrum when it caught fire
  • Woman could not escape from the blaze and died while her boyfriend escaped 

A British tourist has been burned alive after the caravan she was staying in with her boyfriend caught fire in Turkey. 

Hayley Louise Pearce, 54, was on holiday in the Turkish port city of Bodrum when the caravan erupted into flames after an electrical heater reportedly caught fire in the early hours of this morning.

She and her Turkish boyfriend woke to find the fire quickly engulfing their caravan and desperately tried to flee. 

But Hayley’s frantic efforts to reach the door of the caravan and escape in time came to no avail, with the Briton remaining trapped within the inferno. 

Her boyfriend, who was not named, somehow managed to escape from the fire and is being treated for burns.  

Hayley Louise Pearce, 54, was on holiday in the Turkish port city of Bodrum when the caravan erupted into flames after an electrical heater reportedly caught fire in the early hours of this morning

Hayley Louise Pearce, 54, was on holiday in the Turkish port city of Bodrum when the caravan erupted into flames after an electrical heater reportedly caught fire in the early hours of this morning

The British holidaymaker was burned alive in Turkey after she was trapped inside a caravan with her boyfriend when it caught fire

The British holidaymaker was burned alive in Turkey after she was trapped inside a caravan with her boyfriend when it caught fire 

The charred remains of the couple's caravan which caught fire in Bodrum

The charred remains of the couple’s caravan which caught fire in Bodrum

Firefighters rushed to the scene but were unable to extinguish the fire in time to save the Briton. They recovered the Hayley’s lifeless body inside the charred remains of the caravan today. 

Her body was taken to the morgue of the Mugla Forensic Medicine Institute for an autopsy. 

She was buried today at the Akcaalan Cemetery in Bodrum, her friends said on Facebook. 

The blaze was started after an electrical heater caught fire, local media report. The investigation is ongoing.

One of Hayley’s friends wrote on Facebook: ‘I am sad to say but this morning we lost a very dear friend. Hayley will be very truly missed.

‘Fly high with your angels. Rest in peace my friend.’ 

A firefighter works to put out out the fire where the woman was staying with her boyfriend

A firefighter works to put out out the fire where the woman was staying with her boyfriend

Another wrote: ‘Can’t believe what I’m reading. So sad, she was such a lovely kind hearted person with a lovely soul.’ 

Bodrum is a popular tourist destination with Brits, with lots of local bazaars selling leather goods. It also has yachts and marinas, and several hiking trails in the area.

MailOnline has contacted the UK Foreign Office for comment. 



Read More

Leave a comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More